Thursday, April 3, 2014

PET scan, pulmonary function test and echocardiogram

Well. It seems like these past two days have been jam packed. Yesterday was my PET scan and my pulmonary function test, today my echocardiogram and -as a nice break- my amazing mother in law's birthday.

The PET scan was fairly boring. I had to have an IV again, even though my port is in place. They injected me with a radioactive isotope and then I had to sit completely still for an hour. Fortunately, they reclined me in a comfy chair, and I dozed off listening to music. After an hour, I was moved into another room and had to lay still on a machine for another half an hour while they ran me through a tube and took detailed scans. It was painless, though my hands were in a very awkward angle and ended up falling asleep. Not my favorite feeling! I wasn't allowed to take any pictures unfortunately, but the machine looked a lot like the one pictured in this link. Ben asked me if I was going to develop super powers, now that I have been injected with a radioactive substance. I told him to lay off the Spider-Man comics. 

I won't have results for my PETscan until I see my doctor Tuesday, but this one was a big one... From here we will find out what stage Hodgkin's I have.


After a quick lunch I went to my lung function test. I was put into a booth where I did a series of breathing tests. Essentially I had to breathe in and out on cue and against resistance. Easy enough.

This morning I had an echocardiogram to check out my heart function. It was an ultrasound with cables hooked up to my chest to monitor my heart. It took about 15 minutes total, but the tech was awesome and he said (off the record) that everything looked favorable.

I finished up the night in a fun way, with dinner with my inlaws to celebrate Marsha's (Ben's mom) birthday. It was a very welcome distraction... Good food, great company, and I made a purple cake from scratch. It seemed to be a hit. I'm seriously so incredibly fortunate to have Marsha in my life. Ben's whole family is amazing, but Marsha is the glue that holds everything together. I could spend a long time listing all of the things that she means to me, but I will just say that I can't think of a better way to spend my first chemo session next week, than hanging out playing scrabble with her.

Speaking of which, it looks like next week's schedule is finally set. Monday I have my new patient chemo teaching session, Tuesday is my first chemo session. Wednesday I will meet with my nurse navigator (who handles resources I may need for my journey and coordinating my care. ) and my cancer dietician. And then class, assuming I am up to it! (It also happens to be my 28th birthday... Happy birthday to me?) Thursday is my 7th oral exam for anatomy, and Friday will begin girls weekend with my Canadian bestie who is flying out from Thunder Bay, Ontario to hang out with me, and my amazing close mama friend, Sarah :) Fewf!

I will leave you all for now with a few pictures, and will post again soon!


No bandage - not too bad 

This is seriously how it feels every time I go to a doctors office lately. Danielle says it's too soon for cancer jokes, but it find this hilarious because it is so true. 

Annnnnd purple cake. It looks sad because I didn't take a picture until after we started demolishing it, but it was goood!

No comments:

Post a Comment